Alongside their successes on the football pitch, the McDaid family were developing their business. McDaid’s founder James McDaid Sr., was a farmer at Aughnish, Ramelton who left the farm to become a shopkeeper in the town. He also ran a home delivery service along with his son, Jim. At this time, Jim inherited a public house in Ramelton. This exposure allowed him to learn the nature of the pub business, which would ultimately lead him down a path of bottling for Guinness.
During the early 20th century, Guinness used a series of local bottlers to finish and bottle “the black stuff” for them. These bottlers in turn distributed the Guinness throughout their locality. The Irish road network was such that Guinness would not have been able to service customers nationwide from St. James’s Gate, which meant they used independent satellite bottlers as a work around.
In 1958, James McDaid and Sons Ltd. were awarded a bottling contract from Arthur Guinness. A tank of brewed Guinness would be delivered and the McDaid Family would ferment and bottle this product at the quay in Ramelton, before distributing to all the pubs in North Donegal. By the 1970s, Guinness had centralized all production and distribution back to Dublin.